Translate

Monday, September 16, 2013

Homemade Organic Apple Butter, School Lunches, and a Healthy and Fun Breakfast Idea!!

Good Morning!!

Oh, how I've missed you, and I hope you've missed me, too.  :)

I am finally feeling settled enough in the new house and our new lives to get back to blogging!  I will blog whenever I have the time or feel the urge, so it may be random depending on how crazy my schedule is.  The most important thing though, is that I'm back!  

So, without further ado, here is what my kiddos took for lunch today...


Homemade Potato, Kale & Lentil soup (served warm in a Thermos), organic greens w/my homemade dressing (local cucumbers), and 2 local plums.  

Here is a lunch from one day last week...


Homemade Whole Wheat Mac 'n Cheese, peaches and grapes (both local), & edamame.

During my hiatus I was posting my children's lunches here, on the blog's Facebook page.  Check it out to see some more lunch ideas.  :)



My mother-in-law showed up the other day with a BIG bag full of apples from her organic apple tree.  As soon as she left, I had those babies ready to go!  They are a bit too tart and tough to eat on their own, but they were perfect for Crock Pot Apple Butter!  

Step 1...Core 'em, and toss them in a Crock Pot.  Yes, It's just that simple.  Honest.  I didn't add anything to them.  
Just keep an eye on them...it only took mine a couple of hours on high to cook all the way.


Step 2...Give them a zap in the food processor.  



You can add spices like cinnamon and cloves, but I like it just as it is.

Mine is still in the fridge, but I am planning on freezing some in glass jars.  Just leave a little room on top for the apple butter to expand.  

I've had it on toast the last couple of days, and it's delicious!!!!!


I'm always looking for fun and healthy food ideas for the kids, and I saw this one in a magazine.  I love thinking out of the box (or waffle iron), and this was one I knew my kids would be impressed with.  

This morning, I made the kids Waffle Iron Eggs!

My scrambled eggs are just organic eggs, a bit of local grass-fed milk, and a dash of salt and pepper. 

I heated up the waffle iron and greased it well with some NonGMO sunflower oil, then just spooned the eggs in. 


I let it cook until mostly solid, then gave it a flip (my waffle iron is one of those flippy-do ones).

I guess I should have used larger plates, but I was thinking eggs, not waffles. I wasn't thinking waffle-sized eggs.  Yes, I know that's exactly what I was making, but it was still very early...


Aren't those fun?  My kids loved them!  And, look at that good looking piece of Alvardo St. Sprouted Sourdough w/my homemade apple butter on it...YUM! 

I will leave you with this today, since I've missed you all so very much...


Have a great day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment