Translate

Friday, June 7, 2013

Baked Apple Fritters, in honor of National Donut Day

Good Morning!

The weather has been gloomy the last couple of days, and the kids are happily playing (or out at camp), so you get extra blog updates...YIPPEE!  

So, I posted today on Facebook that it's National Donut Day. If you read my post, then you'll know that I'm not such a great donut maker. Ok, so I only tried that one time, & it was before our lifestyle change, but once may have been enough for me. Being National Donut Day (How about National Whole Food Day? Huh? Do we have a day? Get back to me if it turns out that we do!), I thought it would be nice to try to, well, celebrate. Alright, you got me. I'm very low on granola & milk. The kids had organic eggs for dinner last night, & they had organic steel cut oats for breakfast yesterday. I needed something else to make them for breakfast, and this seemed like a great reason. Excuse? Inspiration? Yeah...let's go with inspiration. 
So, I did a search for a healthier apple fritter recipe. They keep those in the donut cases, so I figured it was close enough! I came up with one for Baked Apple Fritters at Food For the Soul. Being on my phone, I'm unable to link to it. I changed it up, of course. Here is the recipe for my tweaked version of Baked Apple Fritters:



Makes about 24

Preheat oven to 350

1 1/3 c whole wheat flour
2/3 c unbleached white flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 scant tsp sea salt
1/4 to 1/2 tsp cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice
4 tsp nonGMO canola oil
2 medium apples, diced
3/4 c unsweetened applesauce
1/2 c plain yogurt
1/4 c whole milk
1/2 c raw honey
Cane sugar

Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl (both flours, baking powder, cinnamon, & salt). Add apples. 
In another bowl, blend wet ingredients (yogurt, milk, & honey).
Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients, and add the yogurt blend. Mix gently. 
On a lightly greased baking sheet, drop about 1/4 cup batter in mounds. 


Sprinkle tops with cane sugar, & bake for 12-14 minutes.  Enjoy! 




No comments:

Post a Comment