Translate

Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Strawberry Picking on the Farm

Good Morning!

The kids have only been out of school for 2 weeks, but it seems like summer is flying by.  I feel like I need to grab hold of every moment that I can, and with a rare rainless Saturday, we did just that! 

Strawberry picking on the farm...  :)


I had been waiting patiently (ok...not so much) for our local berries to ripen, and the PYO (pick your own) fields finally opened on Saturday morning.  Fields typically open early, and picking will go until a certain time, or picked out.  Picked out?  On the first day?  It's been known to happen!  So, you get up bright and early & make your family a hearty breakfast (so they don't eat more berries than they pick...we had organic eggs, fresh fruit, & homemade whole wheat waffles), find some clothes and shoes that you don't mind messing up (especially if it has rained recently), slap on some sunscreen and maybe a hat, and hit the road.  You may or may not want to bring your own buckets or baskets.  Some places require this, and others charge a nominal fee for containers.  

Rows and rows of strawberries!  




They should have weighed the baby!  In this one, he's covered in strawberry juice.  :)

Aren't our berries beautiful?


After picking, we spent a little time at the farm.  They always have a few animals around, as well as a small market.  I swear, every year we are tempted to buy a puppy. Not kidding. In fact, this year my oldest daughter swore to take better care of our dog and to prove to us how responsible she can be...in the hopes of getting a puppy.  My husband and I expect this to last no more than a couple of weeks.  ;)


There were adorable goats & an emu.  We just knew this emu looked like a questionable character!


With it's beady red eyes...


and long neck...I would have gotten you a better close-up, but I was using my iPhone.  In other words...I wasn't getting that close for long.  This emu actually stuck it's head out and grabbed my daughter's jacket, trying to pull her over to the enclosure.  She screamed, and we all laughed.  Don't worry, she doesn't need therapy.  :)



The kids loved the goats, and I'm pretty sure the goats loved the kids!



What sweet faces!


"Come back!  We're vegetarians!"  Yes, I could be heard shouting that.  :)

To find a local PYO farm near you, check out this site!  

Happy Picking!  

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment