Translate

Friday, June 28, 2013

Whole Wheat Waffles & Summer Time Fun!

Good morning! 
Summer has been keeping me so busy, and it seems like I hardly have to post updates. I do post to the Facebook wall, though, and the plug-in on the side seems to be a little outdated. So, be sure to click on it anyways just to check.  


I'm on here now, so let's get to it! 

We have been busy little bees lately! Here are some pics from a recent trip to the river. On this trip, the kids got to see crayfish (or craw dads) & a baby water snake. 



I had never been to this particular park before, so I was uncertain if there was a parking area down below by the river.  You see, we were WAY up top, and this river was WAY down low.  There was a sign, however, that said "Dead End 750 ft".  So, I parked up top.  Sure enough, there was a parking area down below...stupid sign.  This would also explain why the Parks & Rec guy looked at me like I was insane when I started walking my 4 children down that hill.  I would like to propose a signage change..."Parking Area in 750 ft" seems like a good option.



I would like share with you one of my family's favorite recipes...Whole Wheat Waffles.  These are quick and easy, and very versatile.  I use a Belgian waffle maker, one that flips to evenly distribute the batter.  I am in love with it...and the best part?  I got it for $10 on Black Friday, a few years ago!  Ten bucks!  

I do things just a bit differently for this recipe, though, than the original.  I'm sure you've noticed that I do that a lot.  Recipes, for me, often serve as inspiration, motivation, and guidelines.  I rarely follow it to the letter.  ;)  Well, in this one, I use about 3/4 cup plain organic yogurt in place of 3/4 c of the milk.  Why?  I think it makes my waffles crispier on the outside, but it has more to do with economic reasons.  See, I can get plain organic yogurt in my general area, but I can't get my milk without making at least a 40 minute drive.  I often use yogurt in the place of milk or buttermilk.  Here, the waffles are topped with butter, organic banana slices, and pure maple syrup...YUM!



Here is the recipe, from Lisa over at 100 Days of Real Food.


 
INGREDIENTS
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 ¾ cups milk (I have used everything from skim milk to thick buttermilk…so whatever you have on hand should work)
  • ¼ cup oil (I used coconut oil)
  • 1 tablespoon honey
  • ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • ¼ teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 ½ cups whole-wheat flour (I used King Arthur’s organic white whole-wheat flour)
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • ⅛ teaspoon salt
  • Warmed 100% pure maple syrup for serving
  • Fresh fruit for serving
INSTRUCTIONS
  1. Preheat your waffle iron.
  2. In a large mixing bowl whisk together the eggs, milk, oil, honey, cinnamon, and baking soda until well combined.
  3. Add in the flour, baking powder, and salt and whisk together just until the large lumps disappear.
  4. When the waffle iron is hot, dab it with a little butter and then ladle some batter onto the center of the iron. Follow the instructions that came with your waffle maker to know how long it should be cooked (mine takes about 3 – 4 minutes each).
  5. Keep waffles warm until you finish cooking all of them. Top with pure maple syrup and fruit. Enjoy!

I really hope you enjoy these waffles...my kids ask for them all the time!  I have even made these banana waffles by mashing a couple of bananas into the batter.  When I do that, I leave out the honey.

I will leave you with this image, from a silly kid that I know!

Have a great day!











No comments:

Post a Comment